Supplied as standard with a 420mm lever-to-splitter hose and a pair of 1600mm long hoses from splitter to calipers, but custom lengths are available too!
- One lever, two calipers!
- Unique brake system.
- Single lever with twin caliper hydraulic disc brake system comprised of a Magura HS33 Lever
and a pair of Magura MT2 calipers
- These brake calipers are the ones shown in the photos and designed to be used on the left hand side of a wheel / hub. They will function perfectly well fitted 'upside down' on the right hand side, but you will need to modify your mounting bracket(s) and this is not something we can assist with. The fitment type is international standard Post Mount, with 74mm spacing between bolt holes, and you can find more information about this with a Google search if required.
- A Trialtech Hose Splitter allows installation of the twin hoses to the calipers.
- The larger 14mm piston diameter in the Magura HS33 lever compared to the standard piston in the Magura MT2 lever means there is no loss of power despite the lever activating two calipers.
- This system means that both front and rear brakes can be applied simultaneously via one lever.
- Ideal for use on diverse applications ranging from mountain bikes to multi-wheeled dog rigs.
- TPA system in the lever gives easy, tool-free bite point adjustment.
- Split bar clamp allows easy installation of the brake lever even with restricted space.
- Supplied with a 420mm lever-to-splitter hose and a pair of 1600mm long hoses from splitter to calipers. We can spec any length hoses to suit your project - simply select the 'Custom Hose Length' option and specify your lengths at Checkout.
- Supplied as a fully bled, ready to bolt on system (including pads) - disc brake rotors and adaptors sold separately.
- Weight: 457g
We have made a disc brake guidance and information sheet which will be very useful if you are not experienced with disc brakes (or even if you are!). We strongly recommend having a look over it before fitting your new brake. This can be downloaded here.
How does this brake work?
Despite this being the 'wrong' lever for the calipers, this system works because the ratio of piston areas is returned to standard. If you fit two calipers to the original (or any regular disc brake) lever, this halves the amount of brake pad travel, doubles the power and doubles the amount of 'flex' at the lever. So, you cannot use a Trialtech Splitter with two 'normal' disc brakes.
Most disc brake levers have a 10mm piston diameter, so the area of this is around 78mm^2, and the Magura HS33 lever is a 14mm piston, giving a piston area of 154mm^2, almost exactly double. This provides the correct amount of fluid flow from lever to caliper, so the amount of brake pad travel, lever feel and power is the same as the original.
The lever doesn't have an expansion reservoir, but from previous customer feedback this doesn't seem to be a problem. The reservoir is only required if the brake gets very hot and the fluid starts to expand, such as a downhill bike. The advantage of using a 'closed' system lever like the Magura HS33 is that you can adjust exactly how much lever throw is required before the brake starts to bite.
The brake is supplied pre-bled by us, but if you do need to bleed the system in future, there are two ways to do this. One is to bleed from one caliper, up the hose, through the lever, down the next hose and out of the second caliper. Alternatively it is possible to bleed the calipers & lines separately, then bleed the lever itself, and attach the three parts together.